Our Story



Texas Restaurant Dodson Lonestar Flag

Dodson Flag – The First “Lonestar”

The first Constitutional Convention met at Washington on the Brazos on March 1st, 1836. Most of the delegates were under 40 years old, and all had been elected for the express purpose of declaring the independence of Texas from Mexico and forming a government for the new republic. No one knew when they all might have to leave to fight the advancing Mexican army.

On the opening day a “Norther” blew through and the temperature inside the meeting hall–a wooden building with scraps of cloth for windows and doors–was 33 degrees. Flying over the hall was the flag designed and made by Sarah Dodson.

Recognized as the first “Lone Star” flag, she originally created it for her husband Archelaus, a member of the Robinson company of army volunteers formed in September, 1835, at Harrisburg, Texas. After serving at Gonzales, this company marched under the Dodson flag to San Antonio to lay seige to the Alamo.

Like practically all of the Texas volunteers, these men returned to their homes after San Antonio had been taken from the Mexicans, not realizing the strength of the Mexican reinforcements invading Texas. After the Mexicans crushed the remaining forces at the Alamo and massacred the Texans at Goliad, the Robinson company was assigned to protect the retreating civilians. This exodus was known as the “Runaway Scrape.”

The refugees could hear the cannon fire of the battle of San Jacinto, and doubled their pace, fearing the worst. A courier on horseback from Sam Houston caught up with the convoy, and the families of Texans learned of their thrilling victory at San Jacinto.

Source: http://galleryoftherepublic.com/index.php?id_product=18&controller=product

175 years later on November 8th, 2011 Tuesday night at 8:30 pm in a Texas Hold-em poker game, Dale Francis Wamstad went all in with The Four Sisters. The Four Sisters were trying to stare down Dale. Although he only had a pair of 4’s, he noticed Hilda the oldest sister blinking rapidly. The marathon game had lasted 9 hours and 23 minutes. Dale had noticed Hilda had blinked 18 times a minute and now that her blinks had increased to 87 times a minute. He called the Four Sisters bluff with King high, and won with the pair of 4’s. Dale Francis Wamstad now had complete control of the magnificent New Frontier. He immediately changed the name of Four Sisters Cafe to Texas, adding a new flare to the menu, and changing the servers outfits to a Texas/Vegas style. Dale, along with his children Dale Tervooren, Dane & Shelby, hopes that the magnificent Texas will reign as a magnificent dining establishment for many years to come.


Just east of Central Expwy (HWY 75) on George Bush Turnpike

Open Mon-Sat from 4pm. Closed Sundays.

(972) 664-9975